Saturday, March 24, 2012

Answering the call

My first attempt at working with stained glass.
I've always had an attraction to stained glass. I'd see a stained glass window or sun catcher and it'd instantly peak my interest. I'd even been interested in taking classes but they were often out of the area and it'd be too difficult to get supplies. Recently a Hobby Lobby set up shop in town and they had a section dedicated to stained glass. I would walk by the section and look at some of the glass. Again my eyes would light up and I'd feel the spark of inspiration but I'd never act on it.

Finally, after watching a couple youtube videos on how to work with stained glass I decided to give the craft a shot. I went and bought everything I'd need to get started including a book with a few patterns to work from. I spent the rest of the day working on my first piece.

I was pleased with how it turned out for a first effort. I could see where I needed some improvement but at least I had finally worked in a media I've always wanted to try.

My latest work.
Immediately I started work on another piece, and another. With each piece my skills improving and my artistic vision coming through more. I've done away with patterns and gravitated towards a more organic design method.

I've never been as prolific in any other artistic media as I am with stained glass. It's truly a passion and joy no matter if I'm tired from a long shift at work or have other things going on in my life.

It's hard to believe that I went from my first piece to my last one in a span of 10 days. In that time I've made several different pieces which have been shared with others who now own some of my very first (of what I'm sure will be many) stained glass creations.

It's so incredibly exciting to see others so interested in my work. The true joy of art is sharing it with others.

That is what this blog is for.

No comments:

Post a Comment